GOALS AND TASKS
Article 6. The foundation has the following goals:
1/. To preserve the work of Professor Vladimir Yordanov Popov - a prominent Bulgarian Geographer and founder of the modern Karst science in Bulgaria;
2/. To continue the development of the scientific ideas of Professor Vladimir Popov; 3/. To support the development of karst studies and research in Bulgaria, ecology and sustainable development of karst regions;
4/. To educate students and society in the field of karst science, ecology and sustainable development of karst regions;
5/. To offer nature-protectective and nature-preservation initiatives in the fields of ecology and sustainable development in karst regions in Bulgaria.
Article 7. In order to achieve these goals, the Foundation implements the following basic tasks:
4/. Organizing and supporting complex investigations, including expeditions in karst regions in Bulgaria and abroad;
5/. Establishing and maintenance of contacts and experience exchange with specialists in similar organizations and institutions in Bulgaria and abroad;
6/. Entering into agreements of collaboration between Bulgarian and international organizations in the area of karst science, ecology and sustainable development of karst regions;
7/. Participation in international organizations and events;
8/. Offering methodological, organizational and other help to cave (speleological) clubs in Bulgaria as well as the Bulgarian Speleological Federation;
Article 8. The Foundation reaches its goals and tasks through the implementation of the following activities:
1/. Coordination of projects; research work and application of its results into practice; information provision and dissemination; popularization activities - educational activity; nature-protection activity; law-protective activity;
2/. Consultation of projects in the area of karst science, ecology and sustainable development of karst regions in Bulgaria and abroad;
3/. Evaluation of karst geosystems and models of sustainable development in karst regions in Bulgaria and abroad;
4/. Offering help in the development, adaptation and application of modern methods and equipment in karst research;
5/. Organizing educational lectures and expeditions with students (elementary, high school and university) as well as other people in the caves facilitated for public visit in typical karst regions;
6/. Additional economic activity - specialized publishing activity and circulation of publications; designing and mapping; expert reports and advertisement; management and mediation; organization of training courses and programs; specialized tourist services, development and protection of karst objects with a view to their rational use.
From the Constituent Act of the Foundation
(approved on 22.12.1998, revised on 12.12.2002)
RESEARCH AND EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIESPriority topics:
- Introduction of the geosystem approach and the model of karst geosystems in the study of karst and organization of interdisciplinary field research and expeditions;
- Initiation of regime observations and integrated monitoring in model karst systems, incl. in cave systems;
- Development of models of contemporary karst genesis and karst denudation in Bulgaria;
- Studying the impact of global changes on karst;
- Design and experimental construction of a karst cadastre using GIS (in model areas);
- Determining the vulnerability of karst geosystems to anthropogenic impacts and developing models for sustainable development in karst regions;
- Surveys of the quality of life in karst areas;
- Application of criteria and practices for protection of karst territories and sites through effective modern management and and control;
- Establishing and maintaining contacts with institutions and business environments using karst resources, and participating in the preparation of expert opinions and expertise for their rational and environmentally friendly operation;
- Stimulation of development of criteria and programs for optimization of the tourist activity in the karst regions;
- Assistance in the research and implementation of foreign research experience and good practices for optimal use of nature in karst areas;
- Initiation of working meetings-discussions for development of scientifically substantiated legislative initiatives for rational nature use of the karst territories and sites;
- Motivation and participation in the training of pupils, students, doctoral students and representatives of various institutions through their inclusion in research and applied programs and karst projects;
- Partnership in the experimental development of the specialized educational strategy ProKARSterra-Edu and its international initiatives for innovative training and education for and through karst;
- Participation in activities for adaptation and introduction of an up-to-date normative and legislative system for the karst territories and development of substantiated proposals for legislative changes;
- Partnership in the organization of international scientific and practical forums, seminars, workshops and lectures with karst themes;
- Promotion of karst and caves in Bulgaria and around the world;
- Partnership in the ProKARSTerra scientific network.
The Foundation carries out joint research program with the Institute of Geography of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (since 2010 the Department of Geography of the National Institute of Geophysics, Geodesy and Geography - BAS) by virtue of the Cooperation Agreement concluded on 23 November 1999. Close cooperation and active partnership is maintained with the Experimental Laboratory of Karstology in NIGGG-BAS.
PARTNERSHIP IN PROJECTS, SCIENTIFIC FORUMS AND EDUCATIONAL INITIATIVESProjects:
- Current impacts of global changes on evolution of karst (based on the Integrated monitoring of model karst geosystems in Bulgaria) (ProKARSTerra–Glob`Change) (2018-2022) Bulgarian National Science Fund (contract No DH 14/10 - 20.12.2017) - Base organization: NIGGG-BAS
- First international competition for students "Karst - the last "white spot" on the Planet Earth” - UNESCO Participation Programme 2018-2019 (contract No 9290116061) - Base organization: NIGGG-BAS
- Innovative education through the karst (project under the program of BAS "Introduction of modern methods in education and work with young talents", Decree of the Council of Ministers No 347 of 08.12.2016) (2017-2018) (contract No DSD-2 / 05.04 .2017) - Base organization: NIGGG-BAS
- Travelling Summer Scool of Karst - UNESCO Participation Programme 2014-2015 (contract No 7290115062BUL) - Base organization: NIGGG-BAS
- ProKARSTerra-Edu: Integration between the research concept of karst geosystems and the educational concept of “Lifelong Learning” (based on the example of model Protected Karst Territories in Bulgaria) - UNESCO Participation Programme 2012-2013 (contract No 6651406001BUL) - Base organization: NIGGG-BAS
- Development of an experimental model of complex monitoring for sustainable development and management of protected karst territories (ProKARSTerra) (2009-2012) (contract No DO 02.260 / 18.12.2008) – Base organization: Institute of Geography/NIGGG-BAS
- International Scientific Conference "Protected Karst Territories – Conditions, Problems, Perspectives" (ProKARSTerra`2005, October 18-21, 2005, Shumen, Bulgaria)
- International Scientific and Practical Conference „Protected Karst Territories – Monitoring and Management” (ProKARSTerra`2012, September 16-24, 2012, Shumen, Bulgaria)
- Specialized educational seminar "ProKARSTerra - Lifelong Learning" (November 2-3, 2013, Shumen, Bulgaria)
- Forum "ProKARSTerra`2014" (June 2, 2014, Central Office - BAS, Sofia, Bulgaria - within the Jubilee Program 145 years of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences)
- International Scientific and Practical Forum „Protected Karst Territories – Education and Training” (ProKARSTerra`2015, September 23-26, 2015, Sofia, Bulgaria)
- National workshop-seminar "Innovative education through the karst" (June 23-24, 2018, NIGGG - BAS)
- International Scientific and Practical Forum „Protected Karts Territories - Legislation, Tourism, Monitoring” (ProKARSTerra`2019, 29 September – 2 October 2019, Sofia, Bulgaria)
- International competition "Karst under protection - gift for the future generations" (four editions: 2005, 2012, 2015 and 2019)
- Travelling Summer Scool of Karst (2 editions: 2015 and 2017)
- International competition for students "Karst - the last "white spot" on the planet Earth" (first edition in 2019)
PUBLISHING WORKSeries of RESEARCH WRITINGS ON KARSTOLOGY: Published:
- T. Krastev, T. Krasteva. Paleokarst and kaolin sites in North East Bulgaria. IK “TerArt”, Sofia, 2003, 240 p., (76 maps and graphs, 8 tables, 77 photographs; A 22-page summary in English)
- International competition “Karst under protection – gift for the future generations” (2005, 2012) Exhibition Catalog [Editor: P. Stefanov] Sofia, 2014, UNESCO, TerArt, 36 p. ISBN 978-954-9531-22-0
FOUNDATION . CENTER OF KARSTOLOGY "VLADIMIR POPOV" 1113 - Sofia, Bulgaria NIGGG - BAS Acad. Georgi Bonchev str., block 3 Petar Stefanov - Executive director Tål.: (+359 2) 979 33 75 Å-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT Professor Vladimir Popov
Professor Vladimir Popov was born and grew up in Stara Zagora, the city of lyricists and romantics. It was not accidental that he chose Geography for his life dedication: it is an unfathomable science about the world in which we live, about its variety and its driving forces. He focused his research efforts to Geomorphology, which studies the complex interactions forming the Earth’s visage and its secrets. His geomorphologic interest brought him to the underground karst castles and he remained in a life-long captivity of caves and their still splendor.
Prof. Vl. Popov was a researcher of great creative energy; he had a romantic, and even sometimes adventurous spirit. More than 60 years he studied actively the miraculous cave morpho-sculpture. At the same time, using his talent of taleteller and artist, he created a community of the underground beauty admirers, from children, to people of advanced ages.
Under his pen a series of emotional and lyrical descriptions of the Bulgarian cave pearls was born. Those include the caves of Ledenika, Saeva dupka, Snejanka, Bacho Kiro, Magurata, Dyavolsko garlo, Gradeshnica cave. These descriptions are saturated by love and adoration to the Nature-sculpturer, but also by deep anxiety about Cave world, which is defenseless to Man’s aggression.
As a mythical champion, prof. Vladimir Popov distributed generously sparks from his never-dying love to caves. This love was inherently with him when his eyes closed forever. Quietly, he immersed into the silence of Eternity, to which his spirit yearned. But he left to us the embers of his love…
THE RESEARCHER AND SCIENTIST VLADIMIR POPOVBIOGRAPHY
07.03.1912 - born in the village of Gostilya (Pleven district)
1935 - graduated from the Sofia University, speciality "geographer"
1936-1955 - geography teacher in the Exemplary Trade Secondary School,
1944-1945 - participated in the first phase of the Patriotic War against Germany
1955-1975 - worked as a researcher in the Institute
1955-1976 of Geography, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
(since 1955 - geomorphology researcher, since 1965 - Assoc. Professor)
1975-1998 - as a pensioner continued his active research work and expert activity
19.09.1998 - died in Sofia
Publications on Karst Studies:
- Karst morphology in the region between the valleys of the river Vit and river Batuliiska. 1962 (in Bulgarian)
- Morphology of the Golemia Kazan cirque in Pirin Mountain. 1962 (in Bulgarian)
- Morphology and genesis of the Ledenika cave. 1964 (in Bulgarian)
- Karst morphology and karst hydrology in Bulgaria. 1964 (in Bulgarian)
- Karst morphology and hydrology in the Fore-Balkan northern part between the rivers Yantra and Osam. 1965 (in Bulgarian)
- The karst in the Fore-Balkan northern part between the rivers Iskar and Vit. 1969 (in Bulgarian)
- Karst distribution in the Stara Planina Mountains and some of its characteristic features.1970 (in Russian).
- Karst distribution in Bulgaria and some of its characteristic features. 1970 (in Bulgarian)
- Comments on karst denudation in Bulgaria. 1972.
- Geomorphology of the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast. 1974 (in Bulgarian)
- Cave zoning in Bulgaria. 1976 (in Bulgarian)
- Morphology, genesis and age of the Magura cave. 1977 (in Bulgarian)
- Basic terms on karst morphology. 1980 (in Bulgarian)
- Travels under the ground. 1982 (in Bulgarian)
- Genesis and age of the Prohodna rock bridge. 1985 (in Bulgarian)
- Caves with man-made facilities in Bulgaria. 1987 (in Bulgarian)
Publications on Protected Areas:
- The beauty spots of our native land. 1957, 1970, 271.
- Distribution and problems of the protected natural sites in Bulgaria. 1975.
- Protected natural sites in Bulgaria. 1980.
- Natural recreational resources on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast and its rational use. 1983.
- Bulgaria's natural scenery (a photo-album) 1984
- Protected natural areas, sites, forms and species in North Bulgaria. 1989.
- The natural pearls of Bulgaria (unpublished)
PUBLICATIONS ABOUT VLADIMIR POPOV:
- Mishev, K. Vladimir Popov is getting on for 60. - Èçâ. Áúëã. ãåîãð. ä-âî, 1972, Ò. Õ²² (ÕÕ²²), 179-181 (in Bulgarian)
- Vaptsarov, I. Vladimir Popov at the age of 70. - Ïðîáë. ãåîãð., 1982, 3, 82-84 (in Bulgarian)
- Kiradzhiev, S. Vladimir Popov. - Îáó÷åíèåòî ïî ãåîãð., 1982, 2, 47-48 (in Bulgarian)
- Beshkov, Vl. Associate Professor Vladimir Popov. - In: Áúëãàðñêè ïåùåðè, Ñá. ìàòåðèàëè - 4, Ñ., 1986, 120-122 (in Bulgarian)
- Mikhailov, Tzv. Vladimir Popov - on the occasion of his 75th birthday anniversary. -Ãåîãðàôèÿ, 1987, 22-23 (in Bulgarian).
- *** Vladimir Popov at the age of 75. - Îáó÷åíèåòî ïî ãåîãð., 1987, 44-45 (in Bulgarian).
- *** Vladimir Popov at the age of 80. - Îáó÷åíèåòî ïî ãåîãð., 1992, p. 34 (in Bulgarian)
- Vaptsarov, I. Vladimir Popov at the age of 80. - Ïðîáë. ãåîãð., 1992, 2, 80-83 (in Bulgarian)
- Stefanov, P. Prof. Vladimir Yordanov Popov (7.03.1912-19.09.1998). - Kras I speleologia. 2000, T. Õ (XIX). Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Slaskiego, Katowice, 155-156.
MAJOR CONTRIBUTIONS OF PROF. VLADIMIR POPOV TO THE BULGARIAN KARSTOLOGY:
- Clarified the distribution and the most important features of karst in Bulgaria (1968, 1970, 1973);
- Explored and described regional geomorphologic karst complexes: surface and underground land forms and their relations (basically in the Pre-Balkan and Stara Planina, Northern Pirin, North Black Sea Coast);
- Established traces of old (Pre-Quaternary) karst relief in the Vrachanska Planina - “comic (kegel) karst” (1964);
- Described the spelo-genesis of big Bulgarian caves such as Ledenika, Magura, Saeva dupka, Orlova chukka, Bacho Kiro, Dyavolsko garlo, Snejanka, Prohodna, Gredehsnishka.
- Analyzed the first quantitative data about karst denudation in Bulgaria (1972 – together with M. Pulina and M. Markovicz from Poland).
- Organized and participated personally in the instrumental mapping of famous Bulgarian caves, such as Saeva dupka, Ledenika, Snejanka, Bacho Kiro, Dyavolsko garlo, Magura etc. and introduction of speleo-morpho-metrical analysis and laboratory analytical methods in karst research; introduction of unified symbols for cave mapping (UIS);
- Systematized and specified the Bulgarian terminology of Karst Morphology (89 terms, 1982, together with P. Stefanov);
- Described disclosures of volcanic glass in some Bulgarian caves (1968);
- Compiled the first regionalization of Bulgarian caves (1973, 1977), (Ì 1:600 000) - karst provinces (4) karst regions (51);
- Promoted public interest to caves suitable for tourism (about 15 in Bulgaria), analyzed visits and worked on different problems of speleo-protection and rational use of caves;
- Created a school of karst research in Bulgaria and formulated the need of a specialized institution of Karstology in Bulgaria.